Saturday, May 7, 2011

DOWN FOR THE COUNT

Grandma is flat on her back and can't move. I have a bad back and if you have back problems then you know what I am talking about. If you don't have a bad back, you are blessed. 
My first experience with back pain was 35 years ago when I tried to lift my baby daughter out of her crib. She was only a few months old and did not weigh much at all. It was the whole bending and lifting thing that just gave me such a stabbing pain in my lower back that I dropped to my knees and stayed there till help, in the form of husband, arrived.
To this day I never know when my back will spasm but when it does I am good for nothing for at least two days and then definitely "handicapped" for at least a week after that. I have been anticipating this "episode" for a couple of months, actually since before Christmas. I just knew that sooner or later I would feel that twinge in my lower back and that would be that. Thank goodness I made it to England in January, Maryland in February, a road trip in March and Easter in April. All of the above involved Grandma playing with the grand kids so I am blessed to have had all my fun without incident. But now I will pay the price for crawling around with kids, sitting way too much in the car and on airplanes and gaining that extra 5 pounds.  Small price to pay for all that fun.
So here I am in the king sized bed in the guest bedroom because the bed in here is firmer and I can watch TV till dawn if I can't sleep. Husband is waiting on me, "cooking" breakfast, lunch and dinner and serving it to me in bed. He even went shopping today, put the groceries away and has cleaned up after each meal. (Or so he says.)  I have my little lap top computer propped up on my belly, I haven't had to get out of my jammies all day and I found a TV station that has continuous movies all day and night. The icing on the cake is I get to take a pain pill every 4 hours.

Now that I think about it, this is my Mother's Day dream come true !

No comments:

Post a Comment