Tuesday, May 10, 2011

THE HONEYMOON IS OVER

It has been 4 days exactly since I pulled my back and apparently Husband thinks that is enough time for me to recover. It does not matter what the doctor says or how I feel, 4 days is all I get !  That is usually about all Husband can take. Not only does he not like having to take care of himself but his tolerance for taking care of me is really short. I can see him getting more and more restless and cranky as the days go by. Husband likes to be entertained constantly and the whole "care taking" thing gets really old really fast. The two of us are in BIG trouble if one of us gets a serious illness that necessitates us taking care of the other person. I see myself laying in a dark room waiting for someone to come to feed and clean me. Husband won't put me in a nursing home because he will think he can take care of me. If it is Husband who is in a disabled state he will find himself in a nursing home so fast he won't remember any other life. I may visit occasionally but hope he doesn't hold his breath.
So as today began I knew the honeymoon was over and I was back up at bat. Ger did put in a wash for me and then return the clean wash to a pile in the center of the bed. I don't see any sign of the clean laundry moving off the bed so I guess I will have to take care of that. Forget breakfast, I slept through that and made it up just in time for lunch. Ger decided to go to the store again, (third time in 3 days) to get milk. I suggested he get himself a sandwich for lunch, something he would not have figured out for himself. As he sat on the patio eating his sandwich he asked what I was planning for dinner. Another sign that the honeymoon has come to a screeching halt.
But I do NOT take this all in stride.  It is 7:45 PM and dinner is not ready yet. I threw together a chicken pot pie and it is now in the oven. Perhaps we'll eat by 8, perhaps not.  Husband was so kind to bring me home a bouquet of flowers which he put on the kitchen counter top and left. I finally trimmed them and got  them into a vast about an hour ago, just before I decided dinner really was back in my hands.
There has been no asking how I was feeling today, no question as to what I could use help with and apparently no memory of me hurting my back and being crippled for 3 days. Nothing new there. 15 years ago when I had major surgery and then a staff infection on top of that I was up cooking dinner 3 days after I got out of the hospital because Husband couldn't find anything in the kitchen and got all pissy when I tried to tell him where things were.
Yep, the honeymoon is over ! It is a wonder the marriage has lasted this long.

1 comment: