Friday, October 14, 2011

HOME

Home is where your comfy bed is ! And I am not leaving mine for at least a week.
Arrived back in the good old U S of A yesterday and were home in our house by 9 last night. Good trip, quiet and uneventful. In all fairness I must tell you that Delta did a fine job of flying us to and from England . In the past I have mentioned that I hate Delta Airlines but for this trip all was well. Flights were on time, relatively comfortable, movies current and the food not half bad. Thank you Delta for making this trip across the pond a pleasant one.
As for leaving Jolly Olde England . . .  it was a rough good-bye. There were tears all around and I just wanted to hang on to Abby and take her with me. My first grand child is special in so many ways that always make it super hard to leave her. Abby and Roman are doing fantastic together and just blossoming like the ever blooming English roses. I know the family is loving life in Windsor but I do prefer having them in Atlanta that is only a 9 hour car ride away rather than an entire days flight across the ocean. But leave them we did . . . along with the Haggis, tatties and neeps, clotted cream and scones, bangers and mash. All the culinary delights of the UK have been left behind so our first priority today was a trip to one of our favorite lunch spots for a HUGE salad. It seems that the British do not believe in SALAD as a food source. "Salad" is added as a garnish for many English foods but never served as a main meal. There are salads on some menus but they are listed as "tuna and corn" with a small fist full of some sort of greens or "egg and mayo", again served with green leafy things next to it. The greens served in England usually resemble something you might find growing by the side of the road. It is no wonder there are no salads on the menu because there are so many sheep and cows eating everything green that grows. The few remaining stalks of green that manage not to be eaten by the farm animals are harvested to throw on your plate should some one be fool enough to order SALAD. The UK is a meat and potatoes country and other than mushy peas or the corn that they insist on throwing into the tuna salad, I don't think I have ever seen another vegetable.
Today's chicken, pecan and avocado salad was FABULOUS but I really did wish I had some chips with it. I am going through "chip" withdrawal along with Abby and Roman withdrawal. The English not only do NOT serve salad, they DO serve chips, (that would be french fries to us) with EVERYTHING. I swear I had chips with my ice cream one day! If you would prefer what we call "chips" you must order "CRISPS".  Today's salad did not come with chips or crisps, just the HUGE bowl of salad and chicken and avocado and pecans and yummy home made honey mustard dressing.
My heart is still in Windsor but my tummy and my back are very happy to be home in Florida and my own bed.
Sweet dreams !

No comments:

Post a Comment