Saturday, June 23, 2012

I'D RATHER TRAVEL WITH A DOG

Dogs are the greatest!  I want a dog!  I do not want a husband!  Husbands are not the greatest!

So we are HOME.       All these weeks of travel to see family and friends, flying and driving, and I have come to the conclusion that it would be much more pleasant to travel with a dog than it is to travel with H.

I got thinking about this a few days ago after shaking my head for the umpteenth time at something H had done or said. The list is endless, as you have no doubt realized after all these years of reading this blog. The man supplies me with endless stories for you and you continue to keep me grounded and sane by reading my rantings and some times even telling me I AM NOT crazy.

Today we finished our drive home from our road trip. We left Keri's yesterday, (I cried for quite some time after leaving. I HATE to say good-bye which probably explains why I have never left H.), and I drove us down into South Carolina where we stopped for the night. (H has a cold and was not feeling well so I used that as an excuse to do all the driving.) We left at 9:30 and stopped at around 4:30 to sit and relax in the sun by the motel pool. Dinner, TV and bed by 9:30 and I couldn't fall asleep for anything.  I think I fell asleep around 12:30 (my normal time) but was awakened at 6:30 AM by H coughing and honking his nose. I knew it was hopeless so I got up and we were on the road by 8. I drove for a while until we got through GA and across the huge bridge at Jacksonville, Florida. By then I needed a rest so H took over from there.
I have found that when H drives I am much better off if I close my eyes. His driving makes me very nervous so I tipped the seat back and fell asleep. (At this point I knew there were no more bridges to cross or detours to take so we were safe there. H gets lost in a paper bag but 95 is a big road and hard to get lost on.)   I didn't plan on construction.    Next to bridges H hates construction where he is forced to stay in a small lane with barriers next to him.   I had just fallen asleep when the car swerved right and then left while H slammed on the brake.  I sat up startled and said, "WHAT WAS THAT?" as I saw something fly by the left side of the car.  H continued driving like nothing had happened, gave me the "flick of the wrist" that he is so famous for, (as if to say "shut up and go away") and simply said, "CONSTRUCTION".  Like that explains every thing.
What had happened was obvious to me, he wasn't paying attention, got too close to the wall, swerved and braked the car till he refocused. And I am supposed to ignore this!

IF I had a dog, it would sit in the car with me, never complain about MY driving, and just stare at me with adoring puppy eyes. It also would not want to drive. It would not sneeze and cough in the car without covering it's mouth. It would not talk endlessly about things it has talked endlessly about before. And it would love me unconditionally.

I'd rather travel with a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment