Tuesday, June 12, 2012

STILL NOT LOVING NY

I am missing Florida.  Florida in the rain, Florida in the sunshine, even Florida during a hurricane. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  much better than this nasty place.
O.K., it's not that nasty but it ain't home. Not any more at least. 
Today we (I) drove into Queens to go visit grandma Rita and grand pa Tom. They are buried in Queens, NY in a cemetery just off the Long Island Expressway about 10 minutes from the bridge to Manhattan. If you know anything about NY you know that the closer you get to NYC (Manhattan) the more traffic there is. So once again we were up to our eye balls in traffic.  This time the cars were moving. Going 60 mph but bumper to bumper.  It is not for the faint hearted. All this for a 10 minute search for the grave site and then a 5 minute visit at the grave. We spent more time peeing after the drive in. (Why is it that coffee at breakfast always fills your bladder so quickly when you are no where near a bathroom?)
The ride home was better because I took a different route and we made that trip in half the time. We stopped for lunch and then home to take dinner out of the fridge to defrost while we were at the movies.
We went to see BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL. I really enjoyed it and will probably buy it for myself at some point. It is about 7 senior citizens from England who move to a hotel in India to live out their retirement. Quite amusing! I thought that if Ger, Ann Marie and I were ever to travel to India this movie would probably be exactly what we would be like.
When we came out of the movies it was raining so that makes Long Island even less attractive. A rainy day when you are out of your own house is not great fun.  Aunt AM has a TV in her bedroom and her kitchen. I am not going to sit on her bed and the kitchen chairs are uncomfortable after the first fifteen minutes. Ger has not left the kitchen since we got here but I have been hiding in my room as soon as I can get free of the other two.  I LOVE having my own room where I can get comfy and do what I want. The last couple of nights I have been playing solitaire till my phone battery dies and then reading till I fall asleep. I am in heaven !
Tomorrow H and I will head out to Miller Place and do a drive down memory lane on our old street on our way to Sharon's house. There I will leave H and then Sharon and I will do MEALS ON WHEELS just like old times. Once we finish the run we will call Jeanne and Frank and see if they want to join us for the remainder of the afternoon. I am looking forward to that.
Thursday we leave NY and head back to Maryland to see my sweet little Kaelin and Finn for a week. With the exception of sleeping on a sofa bed I could stay there forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment