Wednesday, April 8, 2015

DRIVING GRANDMA CRAZY ? NO ! GRANDMA'S CRAZY DRIVING !

It wasn't pretty.  I attempted to take my two grand kids to the movies today and almost had a total mental breakdown. I HATE Atlanta Georgia roads ! If these roads had existed in the time of the Civil War the South would have won for sure. There is not a Northener alive who can navigate this city. The roads twist and turn back on themselves over and over till you can no longer tell what direction you are going or what direction you want to go. There isn't a straight road in the entire state.

I have an excellent sense of direction if I do say so myself. I got it from my dad who could navigate the streets of NY blindfolded.  Put him in a traffic jam anywhere and he would be off the highway zipping in and out of streets he had neve seen before and sure enough there we would be around the traffic and on our way. He was amazing. I used to amaze Husband at my ability to find places that I had never been to just by following my inner compas.

UNTIL I CAME TO ATLANTA !  I think this city has reversed the magnetic poles because EVERY time I am here I am twisted around and can't find my way UP no less North or South. Kyle and family have lived here for something like 17 years and I STILL can't get my bearings! So today's adventure did not surprise me but it frustrated the hell out of me!
Abby, Roman and I were going to a 12 o'clock movie, "Just down the road 'ONE' exit".    NOT !  We left at 11:20 with plenty of time to go ONE exit. We drove down the highway, got off at the first exit, turned left and . . .  NOTHING!  Hum,  It must be two exits. We back track and attempt to return to the highway and there is no entrance for North bound so we take a road that parallels the highway . . .  Until it twisted and turned and dumped us off at a different highway that had intersected with the one we were on. By now the clock is ticking and the kids are getting nervous. BIG MISTAKE handing them the cell phone when they said they could find the movie theatre on mapquest. Now I am not only lost but have two kids arguing about how to work the phone. I finally pulled an illegal U turn, retraced our steps and went back to our starting point near their house. I decided at that point to call in the cavalry and call Bridget who works with maps for a living.
GOD BLESS MY DAUGHTER - IN - LAW who very calmly gave me step by step directions to the FOURTH exit and the movie theatre.  We got there in plenty of time for the 1:30 show.

But it doesn't end there.  We got out of the movie at 3:20 and had to make it home by 4:00 because Roman's tutor was coming at 4.  Naturally we all had to pee first, then find the car, find the exit from the 5 story parking garage and find our way back to the highway.  NO PROBLEM until Grand ma went South instead of North !  Or was it North instead of South?  Thank Heavens the next exit wasn't that far and it was an easy left and a left and we were back on the highway heading in the right direction.
Not only did we get heading in the right direction but the tutor called to say she would come at 5:00 so we did not have to drive like lunatics.

I HATE Georgia roads !

No comments:

Post a Comment