Saturday, April 11, 2015

MY LITTLE BIRD

Being the first grand child gives Abby a special place in my heart. From the time she could walk she would toddle into my bed in the mornings when we were together and we would play "Baby Bird". We would gather all the pillows in the room to make a nest in the bed and she would snuggle into the nest with all the stuffed animals she could carry. Our Baby Bird adventures would take us into jungles and onto mountain tops. We would fight off hungry raccoons and Tigers giggling the whole time.

This morning ten year old Abby came down to wake me after a week of letting grandma sleep. Within seconds we were both flung back in time and became Momma Bird and Baby Bird all over again. There was no gathering of pillows or stuffed animals but lots of giggling and laughter. We talked about what Abby's dad was like as a child, the silly things he did with Aunt Keri and Uncle Kent and all the pets they had growing up.  It was a magical hour for the two of us that neither of us wanted to end. Bridget finally roused us from our special nest and we had to get up to return to the world.

How wonderful to have had that time to return to a connection that I had thought long gone. I guess Abby will always retain a small part of Baby Bird in her personality and I know I will always be Momma Bird waiting in my nest for that baby bird to fly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment