Thursday, April 16, 2015

I AM NOT RELATED TO MY COUSINS

I come from a VERY small family.  I have no siblings, (my parents apparently broke the mold after I was born). I have FIVE (5) cousins total and all my aunts and uncles are gone, along with both of my parents.  (Not surprising since I am almost 70.)  Husband used to say I could have a family reunion in a booth at Mac Donalds. But that would only happen if Macky Ds served Martinis.  As it turns out two of my older cousins REALLY like their Martinis and don't go a day without one, or more.
I find this quite amazing because I have just discovered just how NASTY a Martini tastes.

I know I don't like Gin, or rather Gin does not like me. Way back in my 30's BFF Glo got me drinking GIN & TONIC.  OH MY!  Now there was a delicious and tasty drink. We spent a good part of 2 weeks sharing a cottage on Lake Sobago with Glo and John and their 3 kids. Gerry and John had never met but hit it off famously. The 6 kids were all at different ages ranging from 1-7 but also had a great time together playing in the lake and making lasting friendships. As for the grown ups, we drank gin and tonics and laughed till our sides hurt. For several summers after that we would get together with these fabulous friends and there were always plenty of bottles of gin to accompany us.
But as the years went by gin began to bother my stomach and give me headaches so I switched to Vodka and tonic. It wasn't quite as tasty as the gin but it liked me better.
Over the years we went through the stages of white wine, red wine, beer and RUM but a good vodka and tonic still tastes soooooooo good when ever I want a little change.

But back to the cousins.  Ever since I have known these 2 sisters, who are about 15 years older than I, they have enjoyed martinis. That was one drink I never wanted to try. First because I thought they were always made with gin.  Then when I realized one could have a vodka martini it just didn't appeal to me. About 14 years ago Kyle and Bridget introduced me to Cosmos. Now there is a drink I could get into. Yum, Yum, Yum.  If I'm feeling wild and crazy I will buy a bottle of cosmo mix and treat myself to a "fancy" drink.  But the occasions are few and far between even though I have a very well stocked bar.

The other day I had a friend come over for dinner and she asked if I had any vodka. I just happened to have an almost full bottle of GREY GOOSE which made her very happy. She poured some in a small glass, added ice and a couple of olives and sipped on that for the night. I had a glass of wine and we enjoyed a lovely evening laughing and talking. After she left I returned the vodka to the fridge and didn't think about it until tonight.
I got wondering just what people see in drinking any liquor straight. I remember my one attempt at drinking SOUTHERN COMFORT straight from the bottle. Thought I'd die! My college room mates laughed for a week.) My BFF in NY used to drink shots of rye when the rest of us were having a few beers. I just don't get it.
Then I got thinking that maybe a martini tasted better because you added olives. Being alone these past 2 months I have a lot of time to think. Not a good thing. Tonight I thought I would make myself some GOOD vodka with ice and a couple of olives and see what my cousins had going for them with all their years of martini drinking.

Let me say I will never become an alcoholic ! The small glass of Grey Goose that I poured is now sitting in the fridge marinating my 3 olives. Tomorrow I will gladly enjoy those vodka soaked olives while pouring the vodka down the drain. THAT STUFF IS NASTY !

I must be my father's daughter and not have any of my mother's family in me. I will stick to my vodka tonics and leave the martini's to my cousins. Although since they are both in their 80's perhaps the martini is doing something to marinate them

No comments:

Post a Comment