Friday, April 10, 2015

SKIP THE BOARD GAME !

After a totally relaxing day with Roman I discovered that I can no longer skip like the twelve year old girl I think I still am.  Go figure! This almost 70 year old body will not function well enough to allow me to skip around the table.
Tonight after a delicious steak dinner the Atlanta Lawlors decided to challenge grand ma to a rousing game of "Diary Of A Wimpy Kid". I know nothing about these favorite stories of Abby's but accepted the challenge none the less, figuring I could muddle my way through.  Turns out I didn't need to know anything about the characters in the books but I did have to accept some physical challenges.
My first challenge was to sit on the floor and scoot backwards without dropping the cubes that were balanced on my knees. As luck would have it my knees at so swollen from the past two weeks activities I could have balanced two hippos on those knees without dropping them. Piece of cake !
Challenge number two involved tossing a ball with Abby which we completed in the allotted time. Easy peasy lemon squeezy ! As everyone else slid gracefully into the  finish line grandma drew one more challenge. This one required me to SKIP around the dining room table. HA ! I can do that with my eyes closed ! I was a champion skipper back in the day of the dinosaurs. I could out skip a T Rex with my hands tied behind my back. Back in the day skipping used to be my main means of locomotion. As I stood up, knees cracking, joints popping I thought I had it made in the shade.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear but a little old lady who shut me down PRONTO.
Where the hell did my youth go? What the hell happened to my body? When did I get so heavy that a hearty "UMPH" couldn't get my body airborn as much as an inch off the ground ? And when I tried to hop, jump, slide a fake skip I found myself beating myself to death due to some very unsupporting underwear. No only was I in pain from my toes to my neck but it was NOT a pretty sight. I'm sure everyone in the family will have horrific nightmares tonight thanks to grandma.

I look forward to returning to the heat of Florida to bake my arthritic knees. The hot tub to relax my aching bones and some yoga classes to loosen up these much too tight muscles. I will also be practicing skipping each day IN THE POOL until I can get back some movement in this body.

I may even start writing that new children's book, "DIARY OF A WIMPY GRANDMA."

No comments:

Post a Comment