Friday, June 28, 2019

SITTING IN THE DARK

There isn't much to do at 5 AM especially when you are trying to be VERY quiet and not wake anyone. Even though there is a part of you yelling, "IF I CAN'T SLEEP THEN NO ONE WILL SLEEP!" But then there is the other part saying,"Please don't wake up I need this quiet time alone." I think that part is the exact reason I have not slept one second this entire night. That and the possible fact that I haven't slept in a real bed in so long I just can't get comfortable without being tangled  up in a sheet and blanket that won't stay on the bed when ever I move. OR perhaps it is because I did not take the good pills that my doctor was kind enough to call in to a pharmacy in Alaska because I was having trouble sleeping in all the daylight. The funny thing about those pills is that it says on the bottle, "Do NOT take unless needed." WHAT ??  If I didn't need them I wouldn't have asked for the prescription and how do I know if I'm going to be awake all night until I AM awake all night? It's like the advertisements on TV for different medications that give you the endless list of side effects, including death, then close with the statement, "DO NOT TAKE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO THIS DRUG!" Well DUH, how the hell do I know if I'm allergic to the drug unless I TAKE IT????

So as I sit here in the pitch black night I have lots and lots of time to think, which is a VERY dangerous thing for me to do. ( I realize that Husband and The Man wouldn't believe that I think at all, but it is just the opposite,  I am thinking constantly.) Tonight at 11 PM I was thinking about why I hadn't fallen asleep yet. At midnight I was thinking that I needed to stop thinking. At 1 A.M. I was wondering if I should get up and sit in the "parlor". (Houses in the country don't have "Living Rooms" they have parlors. Go figure?) At 2 A.M. I was wondering if I should go back to bed after having gotten up and sat in the parlor for an hour.  At 3A.M.  I decided I was hungry so I got up and went into the kitchen to bring the box of Captain Crunch cereal, (My all time favorite), into the parlor and sat down to continue thinking. By 4 A.M. I was so done with the whole not sleeping thing that I ALMOT went out to the RV to see if I could sleep there. But since it was SO dark I really didn't want to go outside because any one of the nocturnal creatures who come to feed on the hot dogs that I wrote about last night before I tried to go to sleep, might be looking for a snack.

And so by 5 AM when the sky was starting to lighten up in anticipation of the 5sunrise, I tried to quietly go into the back bedroom to get my computer. This being an old farmhouse that is not so easy a task. I have to avoid all the creaky boards in the floor, but since EVERY board creaks that is impossible. Thankfully the sky was getting lighter so at least I could see the 52 pieces of furniture stuffed into this tiny house. I have to tell you I am NOT a fan of "country", 1930's decor, In fact I will go so far as to say I HATE country furniture and country music, both of which are found in great abundance here in this part of Michigan. But being a "guest" here I put up with it, except when I trip over an ottoman, (Does anyone still buy ottomans? Does anyone know how they got that name?)  in the wee hours of the morning. Not only is there WAY too much big, clunky, old wooden desks, dressers, tables, and other pieces of shit all over the place it is impossible to avoid them without getting your feet tangled in a rag rug, of which there are more than enough.  (In my world even one rag rug is WAY too many. I mean what the hell? It is "rug" made out of RAGS for God's sake. I get that the pioneers had to make due with what they had and so the rags got woven into rugs to help keep you warm in the winter. BUT THIS IS 019 . . . . throw the dam rags out and buy a nice carpet!) There are no less than 8 rag rugs in this house on which to trip. They do NOT stay in one place when you step on them. In stead they come alive and either wrap their nasty rags around your ankles in an attempt to trip you or totally slide out from under you also causing great bodily harm. (I am suspicious that every time I come up here there seem to be MORE rag rugs stratigically placed in my path. Am I missing a message here?)

Well the bottom line to all this is that I have spent the ENTIRE night wandering between the bedroom and  the  parlor, navigating by dim light on the screen of my cell phone. (The flashlight feature is way too bright at 2 AM), I have survived and am now sitting here watching the rain in the grey light of dawn. I have managed not to wake Dwayne with all my wanderings which is a very good thing because he is going to need all the rest he can get in order to put up with me today. I am a real BITCH when I don't get my usual 12 hours of sleep.

(Oh, and by the way, please pardon all the typos because in all my wandering in and out of the bedroom I never once thought to grab my glasses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment