Sunday, October 6, 2019

AN APPLE A DAY . . .

As a kid I remember my mom telling me that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away". Usually she would say this to me when I was asking for a snack or some of the wonderful baked goodies she always made. The thought of eating an apple in stead of a chocolate chip cookie NEVER,  EVER appealed to me no matter what she said. I didn't care if I went to the doctor 12 times a week if I could have one of those yummy cookies instead of a yucky old apple.
As it turns out my mom was pretty smart because I have seen different articles saying apples actually do contain different nutrients or what ever that help keep you healthy.
Apparently these articles are not referring to Michigan apples . . .

Here at Dwaynes "farm" there are apple trees galore. He and his wife planted them years ago and they have now grown as old and twisted as the inhabitants of this lovely place. There must be at least fifteen to twenty trees scattered across the yard and lining the edge of the property along the woods. Each tree is different from the next bursting with all sorts of wonderful apples. Some turned red early in September while others are just ripening now. There are dark red apples, green apples and others that are almost pink. Some of the trees are so heavy with fruit that they are almost bent to the ground. The deer LOVE this wealth of juicy treats and often will stand up on their hind legs in order to reach the higher branches that hold better snacks than those lying on the ground under the trees. There are so many apples that I have no problem finding enough to bake in a pie or a cake. If I were really ambitious I would make applesauce that I"m sure would be fantastic considering all the different types and flavors. But after today I think I will take a pass on any more apple related goodies because I have become living proof that an apple a day will land you in the bathroom for most of the evening. That brings to mind another old saying that my mom would say when ever I had "tummy troubles". As I would be racing to the toilet she would tell me I had, "The green apple two step". I never understood exactly what this meant until tonight.

A couple of days ago I picked about ten apples from a tree close to the house. Dwayne said that the apples on this particular tree were excellent and would taste great in the apple bread I planned to bake. And he was right. The apples were HUGE and crisp and perfect in the recipe. I only used two of these monsters for the cake and left the remainder sitting on the counter just waiting their turn to become part of some other tasty creation.

As we were sitting at the kitchen table around noon today I decided I would be "healthy" and slice up an apple for a snack. As I brought the plate of wedges to the table Mr, Man noted there were small containers of caramel sitting in the pantry cabinet. Never one to pass on an opportunity for something sweet I got us each a little cup of the sticky brown coating for our "healthy" treat. IT WAS WONDERFUL !!  I've always been a sucker for Carmel apples on a stick that my mom would often made at this time of the year. So there we sat munching on the tart apple dipped in gooey sauce just loving life. Little did I know I should have had an Oreo cookie instead. It seems that my tummy did not care for these apples that I was devouring and around 7:30 tonight the apples hit rock bottom and sent me into about an hours worth of bathroom runs. (Pun intended) Tasty as those suckers were I guess they are better suited for adding flavor and texture to cake rather than eating "raw".

I don't know how the deer manage this issue. I guess when you have all the fields and woods to use as your toilet in it isn't an issue but let me tell you "an apple a day" sure is NOT going to be part of my diet any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment