Tuesday, October 8, 2019

SAY WHAT ?????

When ever I travel I take notice of the different accents and words that people use. My dad had an uncanny ability to adopt the accent from where ever he was so maybe that is why I am so aware of speech patterns of the people around me.

It's actually pretty entertaining listening to people speak. Not necessarily WHAT they are saying but rather HOW they talk. We have all been entertained by the folks from Boston when they "Pak the Ka in Havad Yad" not to leave out my native New Yokers  who always want you to "Fo get a boud it". Raising my family on Lon Ga -  Eye Land we end every word with an "ER" as in "I have an IDEAR for new blog.  And our neighbors in New Joisy are even "hoi duh" to "un er stan" than da New Yokers who live nex dough across da Hudson riva.

I have found that Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont are usually tight lipped folks who generally
just say "A YA" to anything that is asked of them. California has its "Totally Dude" attitude and south of the Mason Dixon line y'all know how funny those southern belles speak. I'm not sure how people speak in the middle of our country because as soon as they hear my NY accent they stop talking to me.

Up here in Northern Michigan most sentences are ended with an "EH?".  It think that is the Canadian influence because all across Western Canada that's how the residents speak. It's like everything that is said is a question. Such as, "It sha is a nice day . . . EH?".

I enjoy listening to all these different ways of speaking but just as entertaining I love searching for odd and unusual street names. Now this is not as easy as it sounds because when riding with Mr Speed it is tough to see anything that is flying past my window never mind trying to read a street sign. This REALLY becomes a problem when we are searching for a particular street and someone has not slowed down enough for me to see anything. That combined with may increasing difficulty to see anything that isn't right in front of my nose, even with my glasses on, it's a wonder the man won't let me drive.

BUT . . . every so often I do catch the name of a road flying past and the names of some of these roads are quite comical. I often wonder just WHO names roads. In the case of my BFF Glo and her summer cottage she and her family got to name the road up to their home and  I happen to know it was no easy thing to do. But they did decide on a name which fits the property perfectly . . . Cocktail Cove.  With this in mind I can not imagine the stories behind some of the road names I have noted in my trips and travels. The first bunch all came from Alaska where folks have nothing to do but think up silly names while bundled up indoors for 8 months of the year.
1. WRONG WAY LANE
2. LOOSE MOOSE LANE
3. RUNAMUCK ROAD
4. BULLWINKLE DRIVE
5. ROLING STONE WAY
6. GUMBO GULCH

Then coming to you from Canada :   SELDOM SEEN LANE,      MOOZ MILKIN ROAD,
MOSQUITO LANE,  TURKEY LANE and PUMPKIN POINT.

Not to be outdone by our Northern neighbors Minnesota contains LEACH LAKE and
SUCKER BAY. That sort of worries me about that state of Minnesota but I don't plan on spending too much time there anyway.


I

No comments:

Post a Comment