Friday, October 4, 2019

FREEZING COLD

Would someone, ANYONE, PLEASE explain to me what the H E L L I am doing in Michigan freezing my you know what off in the month of October ??????

Most people leave Florida in the middle of the summer in order to escape the heat. I left for Alaska in May . . . before it got to hot in Florida . . . and froze my butt for the first 2 weeks away. Then I returned to Florida in the MIDDLE OF JULY !  Now I make a trip to Michigan just when it is starting to cool off down south to come spend 5 weeks in what seems like Antartica !   I must be some kind of STUPID !!!!!

It actually wasn't that cold when I got up here in September and it was a lovely change from the last of the Florida heat. The cool 60 degree days were delightful and the nights were cool and crisp. Then a week later we left to drive across Eastern Canada heading for Vermont and Maine. It was chilly at night but the RV has good heat and by the time we reached the coast of Maine the weather was PERFECT !!!  Three days on Frye Island in Lake Sebago were wonderfully warm and sunny. Gloria and I actually went "swimming" in the lake all 3 days we were there. She kept telling me, "It's not that cold", as I stood on the beach with barely a toe in the 70 degree water. (I swear there were ice bergs floating just off the beach and I do believe I saw a polar bear on one of them. Or maybe it was just a fat lady on a raft . . . My brain had gone into hibernation by then.) But I DID get fully submerged in the water and it actually did feel pretty good for the 3 seconds I was in. What felt even better after my plunge into the Arctic Ocean was the big towel wrapped tightly around me as I sat in the sun with a large glass of Jack Daniels and Coke. The thing that amazes me is that I was stupid enough to do this 2 more times while staying on the island. Fortunately the sun was out and the temperatures were in the 70's. Unfortunately we had to leave the beach and the sun shine in the late afternoon to return to the house which has no heat and was feeling a lot colder than the water in the lake. Thank goodness for alcohol!
Luckily Dwayne, being a native of the great frozen North, had come prepared with his little space heater that we turned on each night to stay warm. The man goes no where without this tiny heater because he knows that the weather can change at a moments notice and he HATES being cold.  Why he remains in Michigan until December is beyond me when he knows he has a warm place in the sun just waiting for him.

But here we are in moist Michigan freezing our buns off, dodging rain drops and anticipating SNOW for next weekend. I have jeans and sweat pants on when ever we leave the house and shorts and tank tops for when we are home. (Did I mention Dwayne does not like being cold?) When we are in the house the heat gets turned up so high we could bake muffins just by leaving them on the kitchen counter. At night I have to sneak out to the dining room with my flash light and turn the thermostat down to 90.  My internal thermometer doesn't know what the hell is going on. I change clothes at least three times a day just trying to keep from freezing or melting. I now know what Frosty the Snowman felt like.  It is getting so cold here that even the deer in the yard are wearing sweaters and hats.

But just give me 10 more days when I return to the sunshine state and I can start writing about how hot I am and how I am wishing I was back in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment