Saturday, October 12, 2019

COLDER THAN . . . .

Let me tell you I AM FREEZING MY BUNNS OFF !!!!!!!!  Who the hell goes to Northern Michigan in October when they have a perfectly good Hot House in Florida ??????  I will never complain about the heat again. 99 degrees will seem like a chilly day in spring after this trip to the UP.  It is COLD !!
Granted it is not Alaska cold but for this southern gal these temperatures are freezing my blood in my veins.

The temperature outside is 37 degrees. That is a heat wave for any native Alaskan but for me it is meat locker cold. I stepped out the door this afternoon and my feet froze to the ground. My nose that has been running since I got here is dripping tiny little ice cubes and my glasses fog over every time I step out of the house. I had been complaining about how hot Dwayne keeps the house but after going out for dinner tonight with D's brother and sister-in-law I walked into the house and went straight to the thermostat and cranked it up to 80. After that I went into the bedroom and put on my heaviest  sweat pants and sweat shirt with some wool socks on my feet and then I poured myself a LARGE glass of Jim Beam Honey and am now sitting here trying to thaw out.

Earlier this afternoon we drove over to Dean's "camp" which isn't far from here. It's a wonderful spot back off the road with acres of woods. Dean has built a wonderful little cabin on the property with a wood stove to keep everyone warm. It has electricity but no water so that means you have to go OUTSIDE to the out house if you need to pee. (I will wear a diaper and cross my legs before I use an outhouse. I'll leave that experience to the young folks.) Every Sunday the guys get together at camp to drink beer and tell stories and get away from the women folk but it is also a gathering place for anyone who knows it's there every afternoon after work. Today we drove over to meet Dean and Lisa before going out for dinner. Before we left home Dwayne used his "auto start" on his car to warm it up before we left the house. When we got to camp we ran into the warm cabin where the wood stove was cranking and all was well in my world. Then Lisa and I decided to take the 4X4, (which is the woodsman's version of a golf cart) to drive back to the pond to feed the fish. (Lisa stocked their pond last summer and the gold fish are supper happy there, growing in size and multiplying like crazy.) THAT was when I realized just how cold it was. The weather Chanel had told us it was 37 degrees but that was only a number to me. I hadn't gotten the full effect of that ungodly number until we were bouncing down the dirt road with the wind whipping and my body freezing. I had my winter coat on with a sweater underneath but I might as well have been wearing Saran Wrap. NO hat, no gloves and apparently no brains. By the time we got back to the cabin I was frozen and it was only going to get worse. I did manage to thaw out before going out to dinner but the temperature was also falling so when we went out to dinner I froze all over again. Driving home after dinner was painfully cold and I no more wanted to get out of the car once it had warmed up than I would want to swim in Lake Michigan.

I am slowly warming up internally and externally but it will be a long time coming before I visit Upper Michigan in October again.

No comments:

Post a Comment