Thursday, April 9, 2020

TODAY'S PANDEMIC POST

I'm really not having any problem with all this "isolation" but today I had the opportunity to
GET OUT into the world ALONE and it was WONDERFUL !!!!!!

It has been a long month since all this Covid 19 panic has turned our world up side down.  It came out of the blue and whupped us up side our haids.  (That's head for any of you who don't speak Brooklyn). None of us had a clue what we were in store for but we all found out soon enough just how creative and interesting we and our families are.  (Sadly some of us found out that we are boring as hell and have no ability to entertain ourselves longer than three minutes.) I'm not one of those folks but I will admit that even I, after three weeks, am getting a little antsy and tired of all this staying at home.  This is probably the longest I have stayed in one place in years.  So today when I realized I had to go out to pick up a prescription at Publix I was all in for an adventure !

First let me note that unfortunately there are a LOT more people out on the roads and in the stores than there were a week ago.  I really hope people remain smart and don't jump the gun and spread this virus any further than it already has gone.
We have been doing our part in social distancing. Dwayne has not been out of the house or out of his car since all this started. Our biggest adventures up till today have been to Mac Donald's drive through, the stay in your car Car Wash and a really all out wild time at Sonic for lunch the other day. Sonic was ahead of it's time with their "car Hop" food service which is why Dwayne loves it. Pull in, order and the food is brought to you! When we were there on Monday it was more crowded than it has been in the past three years.

This morning I had to make a quick trip to the doctors office which I really did not want to do but they would not write me a prescription over the phone. The office was amazingly sterile with one of the nurses constantly disinfecting the doors and furniture as soon as anyone entered the office. There was only one other person there in the waiting room and I was taken in as soon as I checked in.  I had on my mask and gloves and was in and out with out any problem.  There was even a garbage can where I could dispose of my mask and gloves as soon as I exited.

From there I had to go to Publix to pick up my medicine . . . with ONE SMALL DETOUR . . . since I was out any way I made a quick stop at the liquor store to replenish the vodka that I have been drinking at an alarming rate.  I heard that there is lots of vitamin C in tomato juice so I have been keeping up my immune system with lots of Bloody Marys.  It's a win win because not only am I getting vitamin C I am eating lots of vegetables . . . celery, olives and even a green pepper on occasion, all soaked in vodka and tomato juice.  Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The liquor store is one of those massive ones that sells EVERYTHING from wine to all sorts of liquor and anything else that might be needed when doing some serious drinking. The parking lot was packed !!  I had wondered if the store would even be open since I wasn't sure it was considered an "essential" business. HA !!!!  Silly me !!  Of course it is essential, more so now than ever before.  Inside the store was fairly empty but the "take out", "curbside pick up" was hopping and the people in the parking lot were driving like idiots. I managed to get out of there with my gallon bottle of vodka without any mishap but I do think a lot of those customers should rethink their alcohol consumption while driving.

From there I headed over to Publix which also was packed with people and cars.  I had not been to my Publix in weeks except to pick up a different prescription a week ago so that was just an in and out for me.  Today I armed myself with gloves and mask and headed in. The store had made one of their entrances for entering and the other "entrance" was EXIT!  In one door and out the other.  Once inside the store we were directed to "follow the arrows" taped on the floor in blue tape. (I felt like I was in IKEA.) Up one aisle and down the next . . . I was surprised at how many people were in the store with out gloves or masks.  SILLY !!!  I got through my list, checked out and threw out my mask and gloves as soon as I got out. Bringing in the groceries is also an adventure involving lots of hand washing with each bag emptied.

But the bottom line is . . . I was out on my own and it felt GOOD !!  Just that little time alone with my brain was wonderful.  (My walking each day has been curtailed thanks to a sore back and outside temperatures in the 90's)

Hang in there everyone . . . We're doing good,  don't blow it now !!

No comments:

Post a Comment