Tuesday, October 6, 2020

BURGER AND MISS KITTY

MISS KITTY came for a visit today and she and I ended up sitting on the back steps for about a half hour. At first she was content rubbing up and down on my hand but when she saw I was in for the long haul she climbed up into my lap and fell sound asleep snuggled up in my arms.  

It's COLD today, by Florida standards, and my back, wrist, shoulder and other arthritic joints are all SCREAMING for me to get back to the hot sunshine of home. Only one more week and we will be in the car and half way "home" and it can't come soon enough. But along with leaving the cold and basking in the hot Florida sun comes the bittersweet parting of all my friends here in Michigan.  I won't  miss the family because they will all visit at some point over the winter months. (They would have to be crazy NOT TO! ) But I will miss all my "critters".  

Miss Kitty has been visiting us for four years from the time she was a small kitten.  We never knew where she came from but she surely came from someone who loved her because she is very friendly and LOVES being petted.  When she first appeared The Man would feed her bread and bologna so she knew this was a good place to visit.  The Man got so used to her being around he started buying cat food for her and it was a nightly ritual for her to show up for dinner.  She was NEVER allowed in to the house and when we left town in November she was on her own.  Each Spring when we returned to MI she would magically show up and our friendship would resume.  (One of the neighbors took her in that first winter and then had her "fixed" so there were no more surprise batches of kittens.)  Miss Kitty remains tiny and she still loves to come over for a good "scritch".   Today after her nap in my lap she and I took a long walk out to the road and around the property checking out everything. She follows me like a puppy and "talks" to me the whole time.  It is so comical that one of the neighbors stopped to comment on me and my cat walking down the road.  

Besides Miss Kitty we will be saying good-bye to "Burger and The Boys" and "Little Fawn".  These are just part of the nightly crowd that shows up for dinner out by the barn. Little Fawn appeared about three weeks ago out of no where. He is quite small compared to the other fawns born this season and his mother is no where to be seen which is pretty unusual.  We think that he was born late in the season and his mother must have died soon after, leaving him on his own.  He, like Miss Kitty, discovered that this is a safe place to come to eat so he shows up all hours of the day looking for corn and sugar beats.  He is adorable and all the neighbors are looking  out for him.  

The rest of the crowd all show up in the early evening filling their bellies and fighting over who is the boss.  One of the gang of young bucks that visits each night has a really weird set of horns.  On one side of his head he has a full set of horns with five "points" on them.  (Apparently the more points a deer has the more the hunters want to kill him. )

No comments:

Post a Comment