Saturday, October 10, 2020

CRANK UP THE HEAT !!!!!!

 How long have I been complaining about The Man wanting it to be too hot in the house ????  . . .            A  LONG time . . .  and now it is coming back to bite me in the butt. 

It is fifty five degrees out side today and it might as well be fifty five degrees BELOW ZERO for the way I am freezing.  When I got up this morning I went out and sat in the Parlor in the maroon recliner which was bathed in warm sunshine just inside the sliding glass door.  It was lovely!  The sun was so bright I had to turn the chair around so the sun was on my back and not shining right into my eyes.  It was so warm I felt like the Cheshire Cat sitting in the sun on the window sill.  But this is Michigan and at this time of the year nothing that warm lasts for more than an hour. Sure enough within a couple of hours the sun had disappeared behind a solid sky of clouds and the temperature never got more than two degrees higher than it was at 8:30 AM when I got up. The Cheshire Cat went from purring to growling and I haven't been able to warm up again for the rest of the day. 

My daily walk out to the mail box this afternoon was done in record time thanks to the fact that I thought I was going to freeze to death. The Man wanted to know if I had driven the car out to the mail box because I was back so quickly.  Amazing how a little cold air can motivate me to move very quickly !

How is it possible for me, the woman who is always too warm, to be SO cold ?  It is most definitely time to make that drive south to Florida so I can complain about how hot it is. 

I realize that the folks living in Canada and Alaska are probably out in shorts and tee shirts on a day like this.  Fifty-five is down right balmy to them but to this Florida gal it is the middle of winter at the North Pole.  Even with a hat, gloves, wool socks, sweat shirt AND winter coat I was still frozen just walking out to get the mail.  How do these people live here ALL winter long ? This is only the prelude to things to come. If I were living up here full time I would have the gun out and loaded because there is no way I could survive this frozen wilderness for the next five freezing months.  

But the end is in sight and the suitcases are out and the car is slowly filling up in anticipation of escaping here.  WE were were planning on leaving here in six days but then last night The Man was watching the news and saw that the weather man was saying the dreaded word . . .S N O W . . .   Yup, there is a good chance that it is going to snow on Friday so our departure date has been moved up by a day to try to escape the white stuff. You won't find me arguing that decision.  If it wasn't for the fact that we have to wait for oxygen tanks to be delivered for our trip we would be out of here tomorrow.  

Well, actually that's not true because The Man is totally unable to pull himself together in less than five days.  Have we not known for the past five months that we would be leaving here come October?  Has MY suitcase never been put away or fully unpacked just in case I had an opportunity to get out of here sooner?  Do I need to take a week to pull together a couple of changes of clothes for the trip south ? For a man who spent his entire life in the military I would think he could be ready to go at a moments notice but I guess the reduction in oxygen has slowed hm down to the speed of a turtle on Prozac. 

I am doing all I can to remain calm, WARM and collected. (You can keep the cool part.) I was awake the other night at 3:30 AM in full blown panic mode. The thoughts of getting sick and not making it back to my family in Florida had me cleaning closets and drawers and packing my suitcase in the wee hours of the morning.  I finally calmed myself down after a long chat with God and managed to get another couple of hours sleep before starting another day while continuing the count down to getting out of here.   

With any luck I won't freeze to death in the next couple of days and soon my blogs will be written from the sunny state of Florida.  Something for all of us to look forward to. 


No comments:

Post a Comment