Tuesday, October 27, 2020

ONE LIGHT BULB AT A TIME

 I am back . . .   maybe.  My brain continues to unravel at various points of each day but I think maybe I am starting to regain some of my Florida calm.  Although you may have noticed I have not written anything in a week because I just didn't want to stir the pot of emotions that is boiling over in my brain.

The BIG question of this past week has been, "How can lightbulbs that have not been turned on in over 5 months go bad?"  If we are not using said lightbulbs why are they blowing out at the speed of the pace car at the Indie 500?".  In the past week we have had to replace at least five different bulbs. And of course they are all difficult to reach so it isn't a two second job.  (There is something to be said for the old fashioned table and floor lamps of our generation. These recessed ceiling lights are a bitch to change.)

Moving right along in the petty annoyances I am trying to deal with this week is the "daily" newspaper delivery.   I "restarted" our paper, the left leaning Palm Beach Post, a week ago last Sunday while in the car on the way back down to FL.  I was so proud of myself for being SO proactive !  HA !  In the past NINE (9) days that we have been home we have gotten the paper ONCE !!!!    ONE TIME,    UNO !!!!!!  I now have a lovely morning ritual of waking up, having The Man tell me, "No paper today!", and then me getting to call the Palm Beach Post subscription office.  I have made some very lovely friends over at the newspaper office. Each day I get to talk to someone different and each day they reassure me they will TRY to get us a paper delivered "tomorrow" and each day there once again is NO paper.  We have heard every excuse about as to why we are still not getting our paper and how they are having such issues finding dependable "carriers".  THAT excuse is a bowl of doggie doo doo because our next door neighbor is getting HER paper EVERY SINGLE DAY !!!!!!!    Some where along the line someone has been dropping the ball and we sit in anxious anticipation each day for the possible arrival of a paper. Of course they tell us we can always read the paper "On Line" but it just is NOT the same.  Because we are two old farts we like to sit out on the lanai each morning with a cup of coffee reading our daily paper. The Man gets to tell me about all the idiots who live in our adopted state and I get to do the puzzles. It's a win win if only the paper would get here. 

Next on the list of little annoyances is the daily dose of doctors. With the new pandemic rules many of our doctor visits are virtual. At least that is the way the Veterans Hospital is handling most of their appointments.  So far in the past ten days The Man has had three video calls all of which must be done on my computer or my phone because the dinosaur I live with with still has a flip phone. These calls do NOT go smoothly !  There are at least three "pre calls" to his phone while he tries to give them my phone number or e-mail address.  It actually is quite funny listening to him shouting "M" as in Mary, "S" as in Sam . . .  and so on and yet even then they fail to get it right on the first try. Once the doctor actually connects with us the signal goes out at least ten times so we are talking to no one for most of the call.  Basically it's a disaster.  The Man did have to go into the VA Hospital last week to have lab work done. (Can't do that over the phone.) I dropped him at the door and disappeared while he did his tests.  For some strange reason the VA doesn't get the idea behind valet parking.  Does it make sense to you to drive past the front door of the hospital, drive around the side of the building to have someone park your car for you? The "valet" parking is further away than the regular parking lot. Doesn't make sense to me.  Because The Man really can't walk the distance from the parking to door I have to drive him, drop him off and then return to pick him up.  This "Care Giver" job is exhausting !

But The Man isn't the only one seeing doctors. Because I spent the entire summer in Michigan I missed all my six month checkups.  I made and cancelled several doctor appointments at least three times these past five months so now it is time to actually get my butt in to these necessary visits.  I got to go to my ear doctor AND my dentist today. Both visits are going to cost me a small fortune because I am going to need new hearing aids within the coming year and a cracked tooth is going to need a crown. I see dollar signs flashing in my doctors eyes and tears in my eyes.  

BUT . . . I think I see the tide turning. Tomorrow I am going to sit at our pool with my good friend Theresa.  I am so looking forward to this time of girl talk and female company.  Hopefully it will get me back in a better frame of mind and back to blogging. You know there is ALWAYS something to write about it's just a matter of not wanting to smash the computer when I sit down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment