Monday, September 27, 2021

WINDING DOWN

 How is it possible that October first is at the end of this week ???   Didn't we just arrive at "The Farm" to spend our summer here ?   Where did the past 5 months go ????????

I have had such an amazingly wonderful summer here in the UP.  The weather was perfect, the days were filled with such peace and beauty that I really don't know if I am ready to head south.  I love my family that I left in Florida and Georgia but honestly, this self inflicted isolation up here in with wilds of Michigan is really quite nice.  I haven't had to babysit anyone, (other than The Man),  I haven't had to deal with neighbors or anyone else demanding my time or attention.   

The only "down side" to living up here for several months at a time is I miss having MY doctors so close at hand.  Being the hypochondriac that I am I miss being able to pick up the phone and know that if I need to see someone I can probably get an appointment within days, if not hours.  And all those appointments are no further than ten minutes away.  

But it is now the last week in September, leaves are turning color and starting to fall from the trees.  The temperatures have cooled down to the mid 40's at night and most days don't warm up any higher than the mid 60's.  My bones are starting to ache and my joints are beginning to freeze up and scream for warmer temperatures.  (It is amazing how a persons body reacts to weather changes. I always thought the old folks were crazy when they said they could tell when the weather was getting ready to change but they actually know what they're talking about.)

And so this week is "Pack It Up" week.  The tractor has been put to sleep in the lean-to, the ride-on lawn mower is in the garage, the patio furniture has been put away in the shed, thanks to Tanner and his brother Trevor, and the apples are ready to be picked.  The trunk of the car is 3/4's packed only waiting for the last minute clothes and whatevers that will get thrown in there just before we leave.  

I am hoping to bring some of the 12 Gazillion apples down south with me.  This year the apple trees have exploded and the deer and I are enjoying their bounty. (I was very careful NOT to eat green apples this year !)  I don't want to pick them today and have them sitting around for another 3 days so I'm hoping that Wednesday will be a nice enough day to go out around the yard and pick a couple of dozen to take with us.  Because I want only the BEST apples to take home I have been walking around the yard today picking one apple from each tree to see which ones are the tastiest.  The majority of them will get made into apple sauce but I want some nice ones to munch on during the trip and to give to my friends back home.  The biggest problem in picking the apples is that the deer have eaten all the ones on the lowest branches so I need someone to get up on a ladder to pick the good ones that are high in the trees.  I think one of the neighbor boys is coming over Wednesday afternoon to give me a hand as long as it's not snowing.  

As I walked around the yard today checking on the apples I found myself in tears at the thought of leaving here.  I was taken totally by surprise by this reaction.  I guess that just proves what a wonderful summer it was.  

No comments:

Post a Comment