Tuesday, March 15, 2011

BETSY ROSS I'M NOT

When you think about it Betsy Ross did a  pretty amazing job sewing our flag. And she didn't have a sewing machine ! Maybe that is the reason she did such a great job.
I have undertaken the project to make curtains for Keri's children's rooms. Kaelin is moving into the Princess Room so naturally she needed Princess Curtains. Grandma offered to MAKE them. WHAT WAS I THINKING ?  I bought the fabric and sewed the curtains. They look BLAUGH !  I mean, how hard are curtains? Even with a liner they are still easy. Sew together 3 sides, turn inside out and sew the top together with a space for the curtain rod. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy as Abby and Roman would say.
Easy Peasy my ass !  I am just not as clever as I think I am and I get these big ideas of ways to fancy up the curtains. Then I start sewing and realize that my wonderful ideas are not going to work with my level of expertise.
I still break out in a cold sweat when I remember 8th grade Home Economics. It was the year to learn how to sew and the final project was to MAKE our own graduation dresses. I was the only one wearing a sack!
We had to buy the fabric, the pattern, and thread. I think my dress was blue but I really can't remember. It is one of those memories I have tried to forget over the years. All I remember is I still wasn't wearing a bra and ALL the girls were prancing around trying on their dresses as they progressed looking terribly "perky" in their cute little undergarments. I think That might have been part of the reason I balked at the idea of sewing. Then there were the dreaded machines to sew on. They were archaic beasts that would chew up your material and spit it out not looking anything like it was supposed to. (It had nothing to do with my lack of talent, it was the fault of the machine.) I did produce a "dress" which I did wear to graduation, praying all the while that it would not start falling apart as I walked up the aisle of the auditorium or on to the stage to receive my diploma. I truly cannot remember anything other than walking down the aisle so I hope the dress held together and it is not another bad memory that I have blocked over the years. I don't have any memories of standing there in my undershirt but anything is possible.
Back to the curtains . . . As you now see, I have had some experience sewing. My mother could make just about anything on her sewing  machine so I figure some of her talent should have rubbed off on me. NOT !
But how hard can curtains be?  Kaelin got her curtains, not great but at least they have princesses on them. Now I decided to make curtains for the new baby's room.  Once again thinking, how hard can this be. Then I started thinking . . .  how can I fancy these up?  I bought 2 different fabrics, both will baby animals on them. Solid green for the lining. Put it all together and VOILA, cute little curtains for the baby room.
It has been 4 days and I only have one window curtain ALMOST done.  I still have to finish off the top. They do look cute but good grief, I could have bought pure silk curtains from China for the time and effort I am putting into this.
BUT this is what Grandma's do. And we do it will love and joy!
Next time I will lovingly and joyfully check out the Penney's catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment