Thursday, September 22, 2011

THE MONTANA HOTEL, LONDON

Where they got the name for this place is beyond me. Our room is the size of my walk in closet and the shower is the size of a phone booth. Wide and Spacious like Montana it ain't but the beds are comfy and we are only here to sleep and shower. And it is right across the street from the train station where we will get the Eurostar train tomorrow for our trip to Paris. I mention the hotel because although they do provide free internet access the signal is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo weak and the connection is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow that it is almost impossible to email. So if you're not reading the blog don't expect to hear from us! Unless Paris hotel is better. We shall see.
As for our adventures today, AH.....................  It was so hard to get up at 8:30 this morning G and I almost sent Ann Marie and Jean Marie off on their own. Remember that AM is 75 years old . . . she is 9 years older than me and she puts me to shame. Then woman is related to the energizer bunny and just keeps going and going. When our alarm went off this morning G and I just wanted to roll over and sleep for another day or two. But we got up and went to breakfast with the girls and then headed out into the streets of London for our last day of touring. First we took the underground to Buckingham Palace. (We are really getting good at traveling the underground!) WE walked to the Palace gate and staked out our part of the fence to look through to see the changing of the guard. Only trouble was we were there an hour early. WE got a great spot but had to stand and wait an hour. By the time the guard started marching in and the crowds had swelled to 4&5 people deep I was done with standing and had to leave to find a bench in the part across the street. Having seen the changing of the guard at Windsor Castle I didn't feel I was missing much. The rest of the group stayed for about 20 minutes and then we all headed off to walk along St. James Part to the government offices and the House of Parliament. We stopped at the Churchill War Museum where J&A took a quick tour. It cost about $30 to tour so G & I found a spot in the sun and rested for the hour it took the girls. I'm sure it was interesting but not for that amount of money. From there we walked a block or two and found a little place to eat out side in the sun. The day was chilly when the sun went in but when the sun was out it was a fantastic day. As we sat down at our tiny little table on the street a couple at the next table started up a conversation with us. They were here for 3 weeks and were from the Miami area of Florida. Small world. The guy was quite a chatter box and we had a few laughs with them along with getting some good info on how to get to Harrods and a great little tea shop to go for HIGH TEA. High tea involves tea and cakes, pastry, finger sandwiches, scones and jam. Ann and I decided we HAD to experience this before we left London so we made the plan to have High Tea for dinner. When we left our new Florida friends we walked over to see BIG BEN, THEE HOUSE OF PARLIAMENT AND WESTMINSTER ABBEY. We did all this and actually managed to avoid getting killed crossing the streets. Have I mentioned London is one of those insane cities to drive or walk in? The drivers all drive 100 miles and hour and weave in and out. When you are crossing you have to look in the opposite direction than we are used to so it is quite the adventure to cross busy intersections. G has a terrible habit of stopping in the middle of the street to take a picture. I think my picture of him being creamed by 3 big red buses and 12 taxi cabs will be sure to win prizes every where!
After the last of the SIGHT seeing we decided it was time to treat Aunt AM to a shopping experience of a life time. Back on the Underground and off to Harrods, that world famous department store for the rich and famous. All I can say is WOW ! If I had a few million I could have a field day shopping in this store. Seven floors of EVERYTHING ! It is an experience of a life time to go in there and if you can afford to buy something and get one of their shopping bags . . . Well . . . you are just about as posh as you can be. Unfortunately I have not won the lottery and G and I were tired! We sent the 2 girls off to find the Princess Di exhibit and G and I sat in one of the many little cafes in Harrods where I had a cappichino and G had a soda while feeling very continental. The girls found the Christmas department and bought some nice ornaments so they were happy. G bought his sister AM a shopping bag from Harrods and she LOVED IT ! That little gift made her day! When we left we crossed the street to the little place that our Florida friend had told us about and we all had dessert for dinner. Ann and I had High Tea and G and J had cake. It was charming and totally made the day. When we finished the 3 girls ran back across the street so Jean and Ann could show me the Christmas department where I got ornaments for my grand kids. It was the topping to a great stay in London.
Tomorrow morning we can sleep in a bit and then we are off to the Eurostar high speed train to Paris for 4 days. I am hoping to sleep on the 2 hour train ride but will probably spend the time yakking. We are having a great time traveling together if only I were younger and lighter. I suppose having High Tea for dinner won't help the lighter part but we only go around once.
See you in Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment