Friday, September 30, 2011

BRITISH TORTURE

I'm dying here ! There is a plot by my family and the British government to put and end to me in the slowest most painful way possible. They are making me walk every where !
I thought I was ready for this trip by walking on the treadmill every day but that was like a drop in the bucket. I need to lose 50 pounds (not the money, the fat) and run a marathon or two to be in shape for English life. These people DO NOT drive anywhere. They go to work in suits and dresses on their bikes. They go shopping with 10 bags of food swinging from the handlebars and when they are not riding their bikes they are walking, walking. walking. Maybe it is because they are such insane drivers that the majority of people choose to walk rather than get killed out on the road. But that is no guarantee for the bikers because they are out on the road along with the cars.
So for this Palm Beach Gardens senior citizen this is torture. My feet are not used to all this agony nor are my legs. I have already gone through a bottle of Advil and am now working on the back up bottle of Aleve.
The worst part of this is that Ger and Ann Marie, who are both YEARS older than me are just marching along like they do this every day. Ann is older by 9 years but she is a lot lighter so I guess that is a key to this walking. I can't figure out why Ger is not having any problems but he is just chugging along while I am dragging my feet 20 paces behind them whining all the way. Remember that 3 year old who is always whining, "I DON'T WANT TO" ? That's me . . .  dragging my feet, kicking and screaming all the way to where ever we are going.
But I will now have my revenge. We are renting a car today and from this point on Grandma ain't walking! I don't care if I have to spend my entire retirement fund on petrol, I will be driving ! If I have to park this car on top of a lamp post I will do it, just so long as I don't have to walk.
Today was going to be a day of rest after Jean Marie left but so far I haven't seen much rest. Roman has the day off and Abby is in school. Bridget had a French class this morning so Roman came up to wake us at 8:30. Ger got up and I slowly and painfully pulled myself out of bed. When I came down stairs Roman and Ann Marie were in a heated 2 hour long game of Monopoly Jr.. Roman then left at 11 to meet his mom so they could go out to lunch together. That left the 3 of us adults to fend for ourselves for lunch. We decided to walk to the neighborhood park to see if the lunch wagon was there. NO luck with that so we walked across the park to find a short cut to the back way home where there is a pub where we could get lunch. NO luck there because the streets didn't connect so we just ended up walking in a huge circle. By the  time we returned to our street Ann and Ger had decided to continue on down the street to a different pub with hopes of getting lunch there. At that point my feet were in more pain than my empty stomach so I came home and let them walk on into the sunset. The apple and peanut better that I had for lunch were absolutely delicious! And the nap I am about to take is going to be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment