Saturday, December 17, 2011

ARRIVAL OF THE COOKIE ELVES

Two Christmas cookie elves took over my kitchen today.  They looked a lot like Ger and me but they were filled with an energy that I have not seen or felt in a long time.
G and I decided we would get our butts in gear and bake some cookies for Christmas. Now the only people we will see for Christmas is Kent, Kristen and Smith. Kent doesn't usually like cookies, Kristen is too skinny to enjoy cookies and how many cookies can an eighteen month old eat?  Who am I kidding . . . that little guy LOVES cookies so no doubt we will loose a great many to Smith. But even then, who is going to eat the 12 DOZEN cookies we have baked?
We started with sugar cookies and then went on to chocolate chip. I am trying to remember the PAIN I was in after eating those yummy 7 layer bars at Thanksgiving but the smell of cookies has a strange way of blocking my memory. How I wish I were more like my sister-in-law J who eats NO sugar EVER!  I don't know how she does it but the woman has not had a cookie pass her lips in over 40 years. Personally, I don't think I could live like that. I really do want to be LIVING my life even if I am killing myself in the process. It is much more fun and interesting.
So now there are cookies all over the kitchen counter and we have to figure out where to store them until their deliciousness calls to us or some one shows up that I don't have a Christmas gift for. We will give some to the ladies up in the POA office but how many cookies can they eat? Any one out there want a care package?
Not only do we have these cookies all over the kitchen but we have plans to bake MORE on Monday. How can we possible stop with a selection of only 2 kinds of cookies? We need to make some of those delicious cream cheese cookies that you have to shoot out of a cookie press. The first 2 batches of those always come out looking like BLOBS rather than stars, trees or ornaments. But since they all taste the same who cares what shape they come in.
Half the fun of baking Christmas cookies is the decorating. The chocolate chips don't get decorated. They just get eaten no matter what their shape. But sugar cookies need decorating!  WE will make up a mess of confectioners sugar and water with some food coloring added. Green painted trees with some sprinkles added, red Santa's with a mini marshmallow on the end of his cap, yellow stars and blue what evers.
Even though we don't have our children or grand children here to help as in years long past, G and I had a great time baking and reminiscing of Christmas past. It was a great morning and if the cookies taste as good as they look it will have been worth the effort. I'm looking forward to bringing Smith some Santa cookies tomorrow and seeing his reaction.

On a totally unrelated note. . .    Have any of you seen the ST. Jude's Hospital 2012 calendar?
I was given one the other day and finally sat down to take a look at it. If you think you are in a funk and not IN THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT take a look at this calendar and see if you don't start realizing how blessed you are.  Each month has a picture of a child who is being treated at St. Judes for some type of cancer. There is a one year old and 17 year old and each one will break your heart. I have never  had a calendar make me cry but this one did the job. There is a quote with the March picture of a 5 year old boy named Joshua. His mam says," They say life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning how to dance in the rain. St. Jude gave us dance lessons."
Take time to dance everyone and say a prayer for these children and all the children in the world who are battling to stay alive. Then think how blessed we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment