Friday, December 16, 2011

COLD WEATHER VACATIONS

Are you thinking Bahamas, a cruise, warm sandy beaches with palm trees?  That's what I think about when the weather is cold and I want to escape. Not that it is ever that cold down here but when we were young and living in NY it was COLD in the winter and I couldn't wait to get away from it.
Out of my 3 kids only one of them followed in my foot steps and found that life in South Florida is like being on vacation. The other 2 seem to like the cold. At least that is what it looks like to me when you go from 40 degree weather to vacation in the Alps. That's where K&B and the kids are as of tonight. A week of fun in the snow! That doesn't sound like fun to me no matter where you are going. Cold is cold and swishing down a snow covered mountain is not what I want to do on vacation. The London group left today to head to Geneva, Switzerland for a week of fun (?) on the slopes. They went to a different town last year and loved it so I guess they don't mind the cold. It does sound very exotic doesn't it? Skiing the Alps in France. La De Dah. But what a great experience for all of them. My thought, other than the cold, are the coordination issues that plague my oldest child. Once he got over remedial skipping in Kindergarten he actually was a decent athlete. Soccer, tennis and golf are some of his favorite sports. Skiing, I'm not so sure about that one. I tried skiing when I was in college and found that those 2 huge boards strapped to my feet had minds of their own. And when you fall, which I did often, it takes a huge amount of coordination and strength to get yourself back up. I usually took the skis off, carried them up the hill and strapped them back on at the top of the hill. Seems like a lot of work just to get a cold butt.
The other child of mine wasn't cold enough living up on the East Coast of the Atlantic so she had to pack up her family and head to "ICE" just to make sure they were REALLY cold. One of the large hotels in the DC area has a yearly exhibition of ice sculptures. Like skiing in the Alps it is not cheap. K and family bundled up and headed off to ICE one of the afternoons this past week. I am told you get a parka to put on to help you weather the 9, (NINE,) degree temps that keep the ice from melting. This years theme was Madagascar, like the movie. Kaelin liked it except for the big and bulky parka. Finn was so bundled up by mom that I don't think he saw a thing. But I am told it was great fun, even though it was COLD.
As for me, I'm loving the high 70 temperatures down here and if I get chilly I'll just turn on the oven and bake some Christmas cookies. Who says you can't feel like Christmas if the temperature isn't 20 below?

No comments:

Post a Comment