Monday, May 18, 2020

BIG BIRD IS BACK

Well, I have landed in Michigan and boy are my arms tired . . .   Just kidding.  As you know we left Florida on Friday and arrived in Gladstone, MI at 2:00 yesterday afternoon. The trip was easy and uneventful.  Very few cars on the roads except when we were going through major cities. Yesterday we woke up to heavy rain which we followed all the way from Chicago to here.  We're not in Florida any more Toto !  58 degrees and rain this morning and I am wondering what the hell I'm doing here.  Although Keri did say in a text yesterday afternoon I should be glad to be out of Florida because the heat has arrived big time. So I will suck it up and enjoy my couple of weeks in the frozen north. At least it isn't snowing !

I woke up early this morning with the light, (not sun) coming in the bedroom window that does not have a shade on it. Living with a man in HIS house is always interesting. There are curtains on the windows that his wife had put up I don't know how many years ago but they are there for decoration only and serve no practical purpose. The curtains are absolutely beautiful white lace and thankfully the cleaning lady washes them every six months or so to keep them white.

Since D was still sound asleep after his three day auto race, the likes of which Dale Earnhardt would be proud I wandered out into the kitchen and sat at the table to check out if the world and my brain were still there. The world apparently was still there but the jury was still out on my brain.  When I looked outside  there were 4 Sand Hill Cranes standing out in the yard between the house and the barn. These birds are FLORIDA birds, what they are doing all the way up here is beyond me. I guess they migrate to cooler weather just like the Florida Snow birds although I did NOT see any of them, (cranes not snow birds), driving along the highway. Also out in the yard on the side of the barn were 2 Canadian geese and their 5 little fuzzy babies pecking through the grass for breakfast. Sitting in the tall pine trees on the far side of the pond were 4 mature bald eagles and 2 younger ones that have not gotten the white feathers on their head like the old guys. Just then a Red Winged Black bird landed on the bird feeder to keep the Robin on the lawn company.  It's a freaking aviary here !!!  Or maybe this area has just gone to the birds ! Yesterday afternoon there was a bright blue Bluebird on the bird feeder along with a few little grey and yellow finches.

All these fine feathered friends are in good company because when I looked in the mirror this morning there, once again, was Big Bird staring back at me.  Hair going in every direction ! Hope I don't scare my feathery friends who are outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment