Sunday, March 7, 2010

Birthdays

I told you yesterday that I would be back and here I am . . . Even though the Oscars are about to start I have birthdays on my mind and wanted to let you know what amazing gift I was giving myself this year. Remember when you were a kid and your birthday was coming? (It was "coming" from the day after this year's birthday.) We were always in anticipation of OUR BIRTHDAY! It was better than Christmas for sure because it was, (in the famous words of my daughter on her wedding day) . . . ALL ABOUT ME ! A birthday IS about YOU . . . not Baby Jesus, not your mom, dad, sister, brother . . . IT IS ABOUT YOU ! This is your day to shine. It is the day you were born and became the center of the universe. At least that is how it always felt to me until I was forced to grow up. There were those momentous birthdays like turning 5. That one was awesome. All of a sudden you were a BIG kid. At 5 you got to go to school, you learned how to read and add numbers together. Big time ! 12 was a cool birthday because it meant I wasn't a little kid any more. High school was on the horizon (as horrid as that turned out to be, who knew?), and I was growing up. Then came SWEET 16 with all the day dreams of a maturing teenager, (That was good for a laugh!) and a drivers permit besides! Age 18 was really great because now I'm in college and at that time the drinking age was 18! This was a big milestone which brought freedom and booze. (Just doesn't get much better that that.) Turning 21 meant officially becoming an adult, voting, working, paying taxes. It sounded a lot better at the time. The last big birthday number for me was 25. All of a sudden the fun and games were over and life became WORK. Not to say life isn't fun anymore but after 25 I felt that I was starting the slow roll down hill. The next 4 decades went by with wonderful things going on but that wonder of A BIRTHDAY just was never there ever again.
When I was turning 60 I happened to be in counseling (again) and was moaning about having another birthday, turning 60, "poor me" piss, piss, piss, moan, moan, moan. I groaned how husband wouldn't even do anything "special" for my birthday. He would do some last minute shopping at CVS or Sams Club and that would be that. The counselor suggested I plan something for myself . . . "I CAN DO THAT ?" was my response. So on my 60th birthday I was sailing along on a big catamaran off the island of St. Marten with a glass of rum punch in my hand. (Husband was with me) It was a memorable birthday and I am so glad I did it!
So now we come to this year's BD. This is the official "SENIOR CITIZEN" birthday where I proudly become part of the Medicare system. (If it still exists). Yep, I will be 65 years old the end of April. And to give myself the best gift I could think of I am in search of . . . (TA DA . . . a little drum roll please . . .)
A CLEANING PERSON !! I have decided I can travel when and where I want but when I am home I no longer want to spend my days cleaning !!!!!!! UGH, YUCK, and GROSS ! 40 some odd years of cleaning bathrooms and floors and I am done. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME !
Now I just have to find someone. Any hints ?

1 comment:

  1. I am totally in envy of your cleaning person! I think this is the best gift ever!

    ReplyDelete