Friday, March 19, 2010

The Trouble With Aunt AM

Let me tell you about my sister-in-law. She is nine and a half years OLDER than me and looks twenty years younger. When I first met AM, over 40 years ago, she was frumpy. She had 4 kids, a husband, a house in the suburbs and a dog. She was over weight, didn't drive, stayed at home to take care of the house and the kids and looked like she was about 50. I was 22, single, looking GOOD, working, partying and dating AM's brother. I thought she was OLD! But some how, as the years passed I married her brother, had 3 kids, became a stay-at-home mom, our rolls reversed. AM's husband died, she learned to drive, got a job, lost a lot of weight, changed her hair color and style, got acrylic nails and found her sense of style. The woman today is amazing and looks even better than that. She has her hair "done" each Saturday. The nails are always beautiful and forget the wardrobe and jewelry. AM only shops off the sale racks and can see a bargain a mile away but manages to find the most stylish and flattering clothes. Her sense of fashion and style amazes me. How she can look so fabulous ALL the time is beyond me. We have travelled together for weeks at a time and the woman looks better and better with each day. I get the shot-at-and-hit look by the second day but my sister-in-law is looking like she just stepped out of the salon. HOW DOES SHE DO THAT ? I have, over the years, tried to copy her style but it just doesn't work for me. I think that 60 pound weight difference and 5 inch height difference must have something to do with it but it sure gets frustrating. The woman NEVER looks messy. I will be in my room primping and working on my outfit only to walk out the door and see AM and know there is just no contest. I might as well put on a potato sack.
The only things that I have going for me is we don't get together too often so people don't get to see the whole night/day, beauty/beast thing that gets going on when we are together. And my suitcase is always a lot lighter than hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment