Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Rediscovering An Old Friend

The pool pump woke me this morning. If you have children you'll know what I am talking about when I say I am "tuned in" to the sounds of the house. I woke up hearing the pool pump go on but not sounding "right". So there I was at 8 unGodly 30 this morning out side playing around with pool filters. Once that was taken care of I have the WHOLE day ahead of me. I realize that I sleep late to avoid just this prospect. But here I was, up and facing a ton of things to do. I NEVER have NOTHING to do. I am one of those people who can ALWAYS find something to keep me busy. Probably because I don't want to have time to think, I do way too much of that as it is. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo here I am, where to begin. And then it hit me, STOP, take a few minutes to sit outside and read something spiritual, up lifting, meaningful. My friend Sharon always starts her day with reading the Bible. I know I'm not ready for that so I went to the next best thing . . . the book "SIMPLE ABUNDANCE . . . A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It was the Bible for all of us young mothers back in the 70's & 80's. If you didn't have a friend who gave you this book as a gift with the inscription,"Read this, it will change your life", then you didn't have a really, really true friend. And now here I am, resurrecting this wonderful book and thinking it is time to share it with my daughters (in-law).
SIMPLE ABUNDANCE is a most wonderful journey of self. The author wrote about me and all the thoughts and anguish I was going through as a wife and mother. It was the first time that I realized I was not alone in my unhappiness. Here was a woman who was thinking and SAYING the exact same things that I was feeling. I wasn't alone and there was hope. This book got me through some rough times before I realized there was therapy. And now I have rediscovered it. It has been sitting on my bedroom night table for 5 years. For what ever reason I picked it up this morning and am ready to renew my self. The book is not religious but it is most definitely SPIRITUAL. If you have never read this book go out and get a copy today. It is like a work book where you read one entry a day and reflect on those thoughts for the day. Each month brings you to another SIMPLE PRINCIPLE of your life. They include gratitude, simplicity, order, harmony, beauty and joy. As the author states at the end of the forward, (which is a MUST READ), "Reading books changes lives". This one will not disappoint you.
And for those of you who are curious, my friend Jeanne gave me my copy of SIMPLE ABUNDANCE, with this inscription
"Dear Cathie, A neighbor by chance, but a treasured friend by choice. Wishing you all the blessings you deserve. Love, Jeanne"

No comments:

Post a Comment