Sunday, February 26, 2012

TWO ADVIL AND A JUG OF WHINE

It was a great day! We can start there. REALLY great day. Any day with Smith is a Great day !

BUT . . . Grandma is getting old and because I LOVE to entertain family and friends OCCASIONALLY I tend to go out of the way "fussing" to make the occasion nice. I have been cutting corners the older I get, frozen mashed potatoes, creamed spinach that is already creamed and ready to microwave and serve and desserts bought from the bakery at the super market. Gone are the days of baking cakes and pealing potatoes but there are some things that I just want to have MADE FRESH.  Salad is one of those things. Now in our house "salad" equals LETTUCE. Maybe an occasional tomato thrown in but NOTHING else.  NO cucumbers, God forbid NO green peppers, (Ger HATES any sort of peppers), NO onion, (that gives us gas), NO olives, cheese, radishes or any other sort of fancy stuff.  Just PLAIN old lettuce. (I have graduated to Romaine lettuce from ice burg but that is as wild and crazy as it gets!)
But today we are having guests so I want to go out of the way to make a NICE dinner. The guests are only Smith's parents and his Aunt Brie but they are still guests so a shopping we did go. WE found some delicious looking steak, cheese & Spinach pinwheels. Excellent for the main course.  Corn on the cob is always fun with a barbecue and a salad, done deal. I made brochette with tomatoes and mozzarella cheese to have as a filler and we were good to go. But the salad can't just be plain old lettuce for company so I decided to make friend Jeanne's famous STRAWBERRY salad. Fabulous recipe, fairly easy to throw together and just delish!

BUT, this is Smith who is coming and I don't want to waste one minute of his visit cooking so the day before Aunt AM and I hit the kitchen and sliced and diced and cut and pared and pealed and pureed. Today we got up and had to throw the last minute things together, Smith arrived, we played, he napped, we ate, he woke up and we played some more. Throw a dog walk or two in there and you have our afternoon that I wouldn't trade for the world.

Now they have gone home and I am barely able to stay upright in front of the computer.
Grandma is getting old and I need a nap before bed time.  BUT A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL!

FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS THE SALAD RECIPE HERE IT IS.

1 Head Romaine lettuce
1 Head Boston Red leaf lettuce   (I often just use 2 heads of romaine)
1 Pint of strawberries cut up
1 Cup shredded Montery Jack Cheese
1/2 Cup walnuts

Combine all ingredients in a salad bowl and pour dressing on just before serving.

DRESSING  Can be made day or two before serving so flavors mix

1 Cup VEGETABLE oil  (Do NOT use olive oil!)
2/3 Cup sugar  (I have used splenda and it works great)
1/2 Cup red wine vinegar
2 Cloves of garlic minced

Mix vinegar and sugar over low heat until sugar dissolves.  Let cool before adding oil and garlic. Season to taste with salt & pepper and small amount of paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment