Friday, May 4, 2012

HATS HATS HATS

Today we took a walk into Windsor to revisit our favorite little city. Bridget walked in with us and we stayed nice and warm with the brisk pace Ger set for us. (The man has never been able to slow down. His NYC up bringing always comes through. Rush rush rush)
We got into town and Grandma needed to sit! I talked the group into a lovely hot chocolate at the train station coffee shop and we sat for a few and watched the people go by. Windsor isn't very crowded yet but with the Queen' diamond Jubilee coming up in June and the Olympics in August I'm sure sure the crowds are not far away.
After the hot chocolate we wandered into a few of the department stores so grandma could look for some warm HIGH socks. These little Florida socks that I brought just aren't keeping my toes warm enough. (I really did a lousy job of packing. I guess I will just have to shop and leave a winter wardrobe here.) As we entered Daniels, one of the biggest and nicest department stores in Windsor the entire front of the store is filled with hats. I am talking H*A*T*S.  HUGE HATS, the sort that you see the ladies wearing at the Kentucky Derby or to the races at Ascot. And that is why the hat selection is so extensive.
This is only one small display in the store. There were at least 5 different displays like this plus all the ones lining the walls. The hats are in EVERY color of the rainbow and range from little to gigantic.  I was in my glory and would have tried on every one until I checked out the price tags. 200 pounds (That is like $400) for a HAT?  I was afraid to even breathe on them no less touch them. Luckily we went into TK Max where there were some much less expensive hats that I could try on.

Bridget and Kyle are going to the races at Ascot this June so next Friday Bridget, a friend and I are going shopping for hats for the girls to wear to the races. If you think I look silly today just wait till next week.

As for the rest of the day, we had a delish lunch in town and then got home in time for the kids to come home from school. Abby had a friend over and they spent the time up stairs playing with the American girl doll. Roman and I played with his mini skate boards until it was time for a birthday party for me. How well these guys know me . . . I received a box of chocolates AND a commemorative box of shortbread cookies with the Queens Jubilee decorations on it. Included in my BD card were tickets for the whole family to go see Lion King in London on Sunday! FANTASTIC!
Dinner was fabulous, dessert was OUTSTANDING, the movie "Puss In Boots" is a riot and now it is time for bed.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I rather liked the red feather hat myslef. I may have to pick one up to wear to Maryland.

      Delete