Sunday, July 28, 2019

PIT BULLS AND PEOPLE

This is NOT a blog about Pitbulls. . . . It IS about people who behave like pitbulls.  I honestly don't know much about this particular breed of dog but what I do know is that people either love them or hate them. I have also been told that once a pitfall grabs hold of something it will NOT let go. I happen to know a couple of people who demonstrate this exact same behavior . . .  They just can not let something go once they get it in their heads so as a result they are often disliked by their peers. In my case I have known one particular person for most of my life but it has only been the past 20 or so years that I have spent more time with them. I have come to like them in spite of several "quirks" in their personality but the other day when we were out to lunch together I realized I had some food for a blog right at my finger tips.  (Names HAVE been changed to protect the annoying.)

Just this past week Celia and I went out to lunch at a restaurant near her home. We had visited this exact same culinary domicile the last time I went to visit her and on that occasion Celia lost the remote control for her electric garage door. This fact was not made evident until we pulled into her driveway and couldn't get into the house. After about 12 repetitive searches of my car, (she just insisted that the remote HAD to be in my car), it was determined that the remote must have fallen out of her purse while we were eating. (The first clue to this idea was that when we were ready to leave the restaurant Celia couldn't find her purse because it had fallen onto the floor under our table. I picked it up and gathered up the couple of things that had fallen out.  I did NOT notice a remote.)  The loss of the remote became a MAJOR upset which resulted in multiple phone calls to me TELLING me to search my car yet AGAIN ! (I had already searched it several time at her house when we realized it was missing and then did search my car several more times the next day. The remote was indeed gone.) When I left her the day of the loss I stopped at the restaurant and asked if they had found a remote. I also asked to see the booth where we had been sitting so I could check the floor myself. NO REMOTE !!! I called Celia on my way home that day and told her the remote was not on the floor of the restaurant nor was it in the parking lot which I had also checked thoroughly before going home. It took Celia about a week of phone calls to me AND the restaurant to accept that the remote was GONE.  At least I thought she had let this go . . .  As we walked into this very same place of mediocre dining this past week the first words out of Celia's mouth were, "I LOST MY REMOTE HERE. DID YOU FIND IT?". This enquiry was directed at the poor girl who had the misfortune to be the hostess just inside the door. It took the girl a moment to process this statement and then she responded with a simple "no".  I had hoped that would be the end of this topic but true to form Celia continued to fire questions and statements regarding the lost remote at the hostess as we were shown to our booth . . .  the EXACT SAME booth that we had sat in a month ago when the crime of the century occurred. Sitting there seemed to trigger an even stronger pitbull like behavior in Celia so that EVERY person who came within shouting distance of our table, employee and customer alike, was subjected to the litany . . . "I lost my remote here. If you find a remote it is mine. Do you see a remote under the table? " Waiter, waitress, man woman and child were all confronted by Celia and her relentless search for the missing remote. Thankfully everyone just gave her a quick smile and chalked her behavior up to her being a Wacky Senior Citizen. The topic of the missing remote dominated our luncheon conversation and the ride home where it then continued into the ICE CREAM SOCIAL with her 75 "closest" friends and neighbors from the over 55 community where she lives. That experience  is a topic for another blog.  "How I survived my worst nightmare" will be published as soon as I recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment