Friday, July 12, 2019

THE JOY OF FLYING DELTA

I have never liked Delta airlines and would only fly with them when I had no other options. As in flights to Escanaba, Michigan.  There are only 2 flights a day into and out of Escanaba and both flights belong to Delta airline.  I think it may be that no other airline can find Escanaba on the map which does make me wonder that Delta CAN find this tiny obscure destination. What ever the reason I am locked into trusting Delta with my life.

Up until today ALL my Escanaba flights to and from West Palm Beach have been quite uneventful and so I have become almost complacent in my travels, trusting my life, limb and luggage to this particular airline. Then last night on the news there was the story about the Delta flight who's engine blew up in mid-flight. Not a good omen for my 3 flights today. But I told myself I had no worries, after all Delta has been great these last 3 years so I will be fine.

As I sit here in the Detroit airport for 3 hours because my flight is "delayed" my confidence in Delta is once more waining. For years I swore I would walk before I would fly Delta. It seemed that every time I booked a flight with this airline the flight was delayed or cancelled. I do mean EVERY time. It got to be a joke that we would factor in delays because we knew they would happen. The absolute worst was the flight from Florida with my 90 year old father that got rerouted to Wisconsin from Florida to Long Island. (Seriously how do you get to NY from Florida by way of Wisconsin?) Not only did they reroute the plane but they then cancelled all outgoing flights from Wisconsin so we had to spend the night in a horrid motel which the airline DID NOT compensate is for. My dad was in a wheelchair, we had to take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and back again the next morning and we only had the clothes on our backs. OH wait, Delta gave us a complimentary tooth brush and tooth paste ! Big freaking whoop !!

Second worst was the flight to Long Island that landed at Laguardia airport in Queen, NY and we had to wait 2 hours for a BUS to DRIVE us out to the Long Island airport at 2:00 in the morning.

So, I HATE Delta !!!

Today's flight was from Escanaba to Detroit where I had to change planes to fly from Detroit to Atlanta where I had to change planes to fly from Atlanta to West Palm Beach.  If you have ever been to the Atlanta airport you understand the amount of walking from one terminal to another. Detroit is almost as bad, although a lot smaller, in that you arrive at one terminal have to go down the escalator to walk through a   L O N G   tunnel under the runways at the end of which you go back up into the BIG terminal and walk about a half mile to the gate which is ALWAYS the LAST one in the building.
Once at the gate I was delighted to find that my flight was delayed 2 hours which means I will now miss my connecting flight in Atlanta.  This delightful information had me walking back down the terminal to the Delta Help Desk where there was No One ! There WAS a bank of phones so I talked to a person who's accent was so strong I could barely understand her.  The resulting changes have me not only delayed 2 hours in Detroit but now will have to wait for 4 hours in Atlanta for a different flight to get me to West Palm.

All this is just part of the Delta game. The BIG question I now have is WHY was my plane delayed??
Maybe it  is the one whose engine blew up the other day and it just took them this long to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment