Sunday, August 28, 2011

MY GRANDSON "FANG"

Smith came to visit today, with his mom and dad and Mookie the dog. I love it when they come up here to visit for the day or the weekend. Kristen and I get to yack about all the things we have touched on in our emails during the week. Kent and I get to catch up on what is going on in his life and classroom. Mookie and I get to go for long walks around the lake. And Smith and I get to make funny faces and noises at each other.
But today was super special! Smith had all sorts of new things to show Gma and Gpa. First we got to see Smith WALKING. Not just a step here and there but an "open the front door and walk in"walking! He is truly a TODDLER as his feet are slapping on the floor in a total "duck walk" fashion as he tries to keep his balance. It is quite the sight and he is quite proud of himself. Not only can he walk now but he can open the sliding glass doors that weigh a ton. I don't know where this little man gets his strength but if the door is open the tinniest crack Smith gets his fingers in and pulls and sure enough pushes open the heavy sliding doors. I couldn't believe he could do this till I watched him time and again opening the doors.
I guess it's a good thing he is also learning to swim because some of the doors open out onto the pool and patio. (We watch him like a hawk but I think we will be sure to lock these doors when he is visiting.) As for his swimming, his Saturday lessons are really paying off. He now puts his head in the water, holds his breath and goes from mom to dad or from dad to the side of the pool.
Did I mention he is only ONE year old. This kid is amazing!  (But then I say that about all my little loves.)
So we got to see walking, swimming, talking . . .  "GRANDPA" is part of his vocabulary but not much else, and discovery of a love of cheese. But best of all was the appearance of TWO (2) new teeth. Smith has his two bottom middle teeth. They arrived about 2 months ago and we have all been waiting for the next tooth to arrive. I assumed the next tooth to make an appearance would be one of the TOP MIDDLE teeth. WRONG ! We can now call Smith FANG because the two teeth that made an appearance this week are his two EYE teeth. The child is going to look like a vampire, but a cute vampire at that. About 2 weeks ago we thought we saw some little white bumps where the eye teeth would be but thought "NAH" that can't be, he doesn't have his middle teeth yet. Keri just asked me yesterday if Smith actually got his eye teeth and I told her "NO". Sure enough, the walking, swimming, ice cream and cheese eating little super man had vampire teeth cut through, one yesterday and one today.


Just one more thing to make this kid extra special!

No comments:

Post a Comment