Wednesday, August 10, 2011

THEY'RE PICKING ON ME !

Ah, the fond memories of camping with 3 kids in a station wagon pulling a pop up camper. All those suppressed moments of "What were we thinking" are suddenly being pulled to the surface.
Today the road trip to Ohio began. We left NY and spent about 2 hours trying to get out of NY. I do not miss NY traffic nor do I miss NY drivers, smog or roads. But we finally got across the GW Bridge and set off into NJ heading for PA. There are a shit load of cars up here and they were all on the road today as we tried to make our way into the country. We finally got off the Jersey Turnpike and onto the Pennsylvania Turnpike and we were still in traffic. We had left at 10 this morning from out on Long Island and ended our day at 4:30 only about 100 miles into PA. I could have walked faster!
But the best part is we 3 amigos are together so whether it is sitting in traffic or sitting by a pool it is the company that makes the adventure. Until they start picking on me! But even that is part of the fun. As we "drove" along we have discussed religion, politics and most importantly, food. Husbands actually have not entered into the conversations so I guess we are all just settling in or we haven't started drinking yet. We are someplace outside of Lancaster, PA and are staying in a motel for the night. It's 9:30 and Jeanne is asleep and snoring already. She will probably be up at 4 AM and wondering why Sharon and I aren't ready to hit the road. Sharon has to sit up for a while yet to let her stomach settle and I am just awake cause I don't fall asleep before midnight.  But tonight I think I better get some early sleeps cause these two are early birds and just don't understand that the day does not begin before noon. And they have promised to take me to the Hershey Chocolate Factory tomorrow so for chocolate I will get up early. I can just feel my clothes getting tighter the closer we get to Hershey.
Tonight I was very good and had a salad for dinner. Then Sharon asked if anyone was having dessert and that was the end of that! We were going to split a dessert but we couldn't agree on which one we all wanted to we ended up with a piece of pie each. We were in a local diner that served half the pie as a serving. I could have served 3 people with the one slice that the waitress brought me but I managed to eat most of it on my own.
Now we are settled for the night and I will be burping Blueberry pie well into the wee hours of the morning. But like being picked on by my BFF's, who cares as long as I am with these 2 fantastic women who tell it like it is and love me in spite of who I am, how I dress or what I say.
That's what this road trip is all about. Quality time with quality people.

No comments:

Post a Comment